Friday 5 August 2011

The Not Quite Accurate Title

So I was watching an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond and I have some opinions on it, what? You don't care? Its only a TV show? I know its only a TV show and all but when people watch something it leaks in to their conciseness and can affect how they think, I question everything and think critically on things so it wont affect me like that, and this blog is how I do that! The episode in question is Everybody Loves Raymond season 3 episode 22. The episode is called "Working Girl" which of course had me thinking Debra was gonna take up being a prostitute but of course the shows not that cool! The show starts as Debra comes home from a dinner with her girlfriends and talks to Ray about being bored with spending her days doing house work this being brought to her attention by having talked to here old friends who are doing things that she considers more interesting. Which kinda pisses me off, its like she only wants to do more cause her friends are doing more. Which just seems like she arbitrarily decided this instead of really feeling it. Which I feel is a problem many people have in life: Constantly wanting what others have just cause they hear someone expressing enjoyment in it. Do they miss read the enjoyment of listening as an enjoyment in the act? Do they think they should do everything everyone they know has done? But of course this is not brought up in the show they just walk up stairs and the opening credits roll. Anyway Debra then gets a job to add excitement to her life and then gets fired on her first day. Ray goes to ask her boss for a second chance and the boss tells him she fired her not because the reasons Debra told Ray but cause shes stubborn and argumentative. Which is nice to hear the female boss say cause this show has a tendency to make all the woman in it complainers who don't get annoyed by complaining. Which I think is very odd, in this day and age of gender equality we still have TV shows full of really annoying woman! I know lots of woman who do not complain and instead solve there problems but on TV it seems most woman complain and then complain. Is it cause the shows are written by men with complaining wives or is it suppose to be a humorous turn on real life like when you see the three stooges at a fancy dinner party throwing pies with the cultured guests? Either way it could be interrupted the other way and therefor show a world I don't think exists but subconcisely viewers might start to think does exist! And does she try to resolve the issue of being more argumentative? Does she learn from her experience and grow as a person? No. And why not? Are sitcoms suppose to be about people stuck in their ways? About adults who never learn? Are we suppose to just laugh at them and not relate to them? Do people think they are suppose to act this way? Do people act this way? I don't know! I'm pretty open minded and I'm always open to change when change is needed so are my friends so I can't tell if this is how most people are and the show is a reflection of that or if its a show that's just meant to be laughed at like the three stooges or does the show never change cause the writers are lame and stagnant and can't think of anything better to do?

10 comments:

  1. I guess that's how the writers made debra :P
    anyway, i think it adds a little spunk to the show :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most annoying woman on TV is OPRAH

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never could really get the characters in sitcoms

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting.... definitely adds spunk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone Loves Raymond is why the world sucks. Ray Romano is genuinely funny in his stand up. On his show, he is like Carrot Top and Milton (from Office Space) sick love child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Few shows can be realistic. I believe that Everybody Loves Raymond fails on that, i mean come on, what's with the laugh track?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's probably more of a statement about Sitcoms, they're formulaic. I.e. once you have something that's making you money, don't change it unless it stops making you money. And let's be honest sitcoms make money by having the cast do the same thing over and over again and never change. It's an element of consistency in everyone's lives which everyone likes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Squiglet I think you put it better then I ever could!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not a bad post, but you should really break up your posts into paragraphs. It make it easier to read.

    ReplyDelete