Sunday 7 August 2011

All In The Family wasn't kept all in the family it was aired on TV!

All in the Family is a show I was told about by my dad in 1996 but I didn't get a chance to watch it in till 1999 when finally a TV station in my area decided to play it!
Watching the show I noticed it had a lot of stories involving people dealing with gender equality and racial equality and humorous turns on social norms.

Example: Edith Bunkers at a bus station with her husband Archie Bunker puts down her luggage next to her and then a big black man takes it mistaking it for his (because their almost identical) and Edith realize this but before she can go to tell him he took the wrong piece of luggage Archie stops her and tells her not to and then explain that the 6foot tall black man in a leather jacket and army pants with an afro might just beat her on the spot for bothering him! But Edith the ever loving woman ignores Archie's protests and approaches the man and tells him of the mistake and the huge tough looking black man realizes his mistake and thanks Edith in a nice and friendly way!

Now this kind of don't judge people by there appearance thing I had seen multiple times through the 90's and thought the show seemed kind of lame and redundant, but then it hit me!
This show was on the air from 1970-1979! The episodes were 20-30 years old! The shows I had watched in the 90's were the stale copy's to this show!
All the stereotype smashing of the 90's all the moving to a more open minded way was all copied from a show decades past! All in the family was the cutting edge show!
And then I found out All in the Family was based on a TV show from England in the 60's call Till Death Us Do Part!
So now I don't know what to think! Rule Britannia!

22 comments:

  1. huh, i didnt know it was based on till death do us part! good to know..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also didn't know that. It sounds kind of erroneous to me

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what I hated about the shows back then? They all had to have a moral. The nowadays TV shows rule them in any aspect you can think of.
    Can you imagine House MD being that much fun if Greg acted like doctor Huxtable? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @my day in a sentence good point about the morals! House would be quite weird if he dispenced advice like Huxtable! It would make a funny parody though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, "All In The Family", what a classic. It was also ground-breaking for the fact that Archie was so blatantly racist; it was pretty edgy for its time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. remixing the remixed tv show lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never watched that show. Might have to watch it sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like it's meant for 5 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never watched it, although it's deemed a classic. Sounds like Seventh Heaven or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @H.
    @Sinclair
    @Sub-Radar-Mike
    You guys should deffenetly watch the show. I don't mean sit down and watch it all just watch 1-2 episodes, especially from season1-4, and get an insite into the world in the seventies! Its very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. television teaching people? Oh, the series is old, i thought it would be something that still is on the daily tv program ^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never seen it. But sounds interesting. Cool Blog! +follow :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never heard of it, now you i feel tempted to watch it. I guess i will have to google the episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. well i believe i saw one episode in 2001, but this show never really took off in terms of views so they didnt really replay the old episodes

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never saw it over here unfortunately

    ReplyDelete
  16. have you ever thought about adding some photos or some videos to your blog? I'm a visual person and enjoy photos! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i've heard about this show, never watched it. But i will check it out later on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Shutterbug Thats a good idea, thanks for the input! I'm new to the whole blog thing so I haven't looked in to how I would do that. But I'm gonna look into it now! Hopefully soon I'll have pictures for my blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I still watch this from time to time on TV LAND.
    Not even sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never seen any of those shows I do love the fact that the idea of not judging someone because of the way they look was being pushed forward back then. Makes me think of the bit in Harold and Kumar escape from Guantanamo Bay where they are scared to drive through a group of black guys street basketball game.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yep english shows are more open minded than the american ones.. It's nice showing not to judge people by their appearance in a family comedy show that airs on prime time. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete